Thursday, October 2, 2008

the origin of festival in each country.

I think this topic is quite interesting as you can see.Many countries have their own festival means something from the past. It may be come from religion, social norm, reflecting to culture. Like in Thailand we have Song-kran day in the mid of april because in that time will be the hottest period in Thailand. We have the festival that celebrating over the country and local festival that is happend ineach area like Haae Nang Maw, for asking the rain from God. In Japan they have many festival that is local festival, I think it is interesting to know the origin of all these festival. It always be the trick of the ancester way to force the next generation have still done.

3 comments:

KMCheese said...

I agree that the origin of festivals is interesting. I wrote a comment about the origin of the Fujisakigu festival (the one with the horses) on Erynn's blog. Please click here to see my comment. I also think that the reasons that festivals continue for many years may be complex. In other words, in addition to the main reason given for a particular festival (celebrating an event, praying for something, etc.) festivals also provide entertainment and opportunities for people in communities to feel connected to one another. Please click here to see a message I wrote with a link to an an academic article about the festival. The message appears on a mailing list called Kumamoto-i, through which people share information about Kumamoto in English.

Anonymous said...

I wish that there were more festivals in America. We have national holidays like Christmas, New Years and Independence Day, but we don't really have parades or local festivals. After seeing the Fujisakigu matsuri, I think that the Japanese know how to have a better time than Americans.

KMCheese said...

Mardi gras in New Orleans is one festival that comes to mind but I would agree that we don't have as many such festivals as Japan does.