Sunday, November 2, 2008

Participation participation!!!

About two week we are talking in participation in class.I think it is very interesting topic because
I can see clearly between asian eastern and western student.Western students often give their opinion to teacher,I am not sure have they participate since they was a child.From my experience,participation increasing as I am study in high level,Elementary school I can not express my ideas. I have to fallow exactly what teacher said because I do not want to be the person who teacher think the problem child.But when I am in junior-high school and high school,I have many chances to express my opinion because the school policies want to create a leader student,they force me to share my ideas.Obviously when I am studying in university my teachers always want their student to share opinion even opposite their thinking. Like we are finding the way out of the problems,corruption,bias etc.It is very fun and teachers do not let our ideas look bad,they are listening and give their comment to us like who has experiences.Love it.

2 comments:

The Author said...

you're right :) Us Westerners learn from the beginning to participate. In fact, one of the reasons we're so outspoken is that throughout our required education is that our participation in a class is counted towards our grade...and it's often a pretty big percentage, too.

I'm sure there's more reasons, individuality and stuff, but that's one of the main ones I can think of.

KMCheese said...

Thanks Chapone for your message and to Mizuuminoshikirou for your response! I was very happy to read the messages and especially glad to read that you enjoy discussion, Chapone.

Other students have written about the importance of groups in Japan. I think the topic of participation is very closely related to so-called "groupism" (shudanshugi) in Japan. That is, in order for groups to work people need to participate in them in some way. However, the styles of participation may differ from culture to culture.